Re: Machine-specific optimizations

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:49:13PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > So, is there any plan to use them (like recompiling the package on the user's
> > machine)?
> >

> you always have the option of using 'apt-get source' to recompile a package,
> then place it on hold and we wont touch it.

I've tried doing this occasionally -- more often to change a
compile-time feature than optimise for CPU -- and it's not very
convenient. I mean, the apt-get source couldn't be easier, but unless
I put the package on hold, apt `upgrades' to the *same* version on
the very next apt-get upgrade. I've had to resort to using NMU
versioning in the changelogs to stop this, which is not really ideal
(for my laziness).

Is this just the way it has to be? Why is it so? Wouldn't it be
better to allow users to compile if they want and only upgrade when
there's a new release?

What have I missed? :-)
--
Alisdair McDiarmid                                    alisdair@jml.net