Re: intent to package mrename

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
> As an aside, I had the experience of trying to install potato on a laptop
> with small RAM and hard disk recently.  While the resulting installation
> would have run fine, dpkg's virtual memory needs completely prevented use of
> our normal packaging toolset to complete the installation.  That was very
> frustrating.  Maybe the emdebian crowd will generate some good ideas...

As I see it the answers to the RAM considerations are simple. Massive
databases have been running on machines for years, they do not have problems
with memory because they do not load all of the data files needed into RAM.
Could dpkg be written to only load the needed bits into RAM? I suppose that
would mean we would have to give up having a text based file to store the
database in and move to some kind of binary file with indexing.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.