Re: Installing packages without manpages and docs

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

>  The /usr/share thing is a mounstruosity in Debian, and nothing more.
> There's absolutely no prevision for making it shareable among machines
> unless you have the same packages installed everywhere at the same
> versions...
>
>  There... I've said it at last.. =)
Even if I have no real use for the feature to share /usr/share over
several boxes it seemed to me it's declared intention.  I'm avare that
it isn't possible with the current dpkg but we've got a bug report
severity wishlist about a "--without-docs" option for dpkg.  May be
someone is bothered by the missing feature to share what is intended
to share should file a similar bugreport for an option "--without-share".
We need to have an option for apt which can be set on the box which holds
/usr/share to "share=yes" and all the other boxes to "share=no".

Just an idea

          Andreas.