Re: Installing packages without manpages and docs

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Marc Haber wrote:

> I am using Debian on a bunch of servers with a minimal install. The
> barebone install is about 80 MB for potato and I'd like to reduce it
> even more.
>
> Is there any way to make apt-get stop installing packages' man pages
> and documentation? I never actually tried that, but would symlinking
> /usr[/share]/{doc|man|info} to /dev/null do the job without disabling
> apt updates?
>
> I have docs and man pages on my personal work station, and having them
> multiple times is a waste of disk and backup space.
>
> Has anybody actually done something like that?
Havn't done but what about mounting /usr/share via NFS as it is
intended to do and hold it just once for all your boxes?
Or if you don't want to do that just do it for /usr/share/doc and
/usr/share/man in the installation process and umount it afterwards.

Just an idea

     Andreas.