Re: we need a release announcement -- soon [source material]

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 07:50:50PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Real soon now we're going to need some document that we can use as a
> release announcement for potato. As far as I know, we don't have one
> yet, right?
>
> I think the problem is that we've been working on this so long, we've begun
> to forget what's changed since the last release. :-/ So I'm going to try to
> gather as many possible things to announce as I can in this email and
> thread. We can sort it out later.
>
> I've just read all posts made to debian-publicity in the past year, and
> the following items have been suggested for such a document:
>
> * <idea>Check with ftp sites and mirrors how many unique IP's have dl's
>   the potato package list, the brag:
>   "This is the best-tested linux distribution release in history" and cite
>   the total number of systems that have installed potato from the net.
Hmm, decent idea, but might wanna use a number smaller than what you get,
because not necessarily all unique IP's are new .. and just because debian
should be humble:)
> * debconf [ probably not used widly enough to be announced yet though ]
Probably not

> There is some useful publicity information in the release notes for potato:
>
> * Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 ships with kernels from the 2.2 kernel series.
>   The 2.2 kernel series are a new kernel generation introducing several
>   valuable changes both in the kernel and in other programs based on kernel
>   features, along with a whole slew of new hardware drivers and bug fixes
>   for existing drivers.
This is something that i dont see as important, because its assumed, and
because i have a feeling debian would be flamed badly for "bragging" about
how we have 2.2, a long time after everyone else has shipped 2.2.
[this is all i really wanted to say, but figured i could comment on the
otherstuff long as i'm filling your mailbox ..]

Other things to mention:

ifup/ifdown/etc.
Better pam integration(been awhile since i used slink, but iirc the pam
integration wasn't nearly as good)
probably more.

> --
> see shy jo

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.