Re: bigloo

William Lee Irwin III <wli@holomorphy.com> writes:

> Is anyone maintaining bigloo? It looks like it's been broken for quite
> some time (at least I've not been able to use it since soon after I
> installed Debian over a year ago because of the libgc4-dev conflict).
> If I remember right there was a bug filed against it. I'd like to help,
> if possible.

I used to be the maintainer but stopped maintaining it due to lack of
time and it was pulled from potato for some RC bugs, the libgc4-dev
one included.

The bigloo build process is very French, and the distribution process
is very French too.  Meaning, it's done in it's own way, a hand-rolled
autoconf system, a multi-stage build in a single gigantic tarball, and
ships it's own slightly hacked copy of libgc.  The fact that it'sa
compiler that nees to compile itself makes it all the more difficult.
At the time I was maintaining it I had a P90 with 64 megs fo RAM that
would take an hour to build it.

PS: No harm towards the French intended, just that INRA and the other
french research centers seem to have their own way of doing things.  I
don't mind because that same sensibility gave us an emacs clone in
OCaml, which anyone can appreciate and love.

--
Craig Brozefsky               <craig@red-bean.com>
Lisp Web Dev List  http://www.red-bean.com/lispweb