RE: why do we provide perl-5.004 anymore?

Perhaps 5.004 is still around for compatibility... nothing in debian may
depend on .004, but admins have this habit of writing their own scripts ;-)

I don't know why the upgrade would go to 5.004 as opposed to 5.005 (maybe
theres a good reason..)... but I believe we should leave .004 in there for
those that need to keep it around.. (of course, I haven't looked at the
complete list of changes, so I may be wrong and there may not be any serious
issues ... )

One example, which is from the perl-5.005-base pre-inst script:

"This version of Perl is using the newer Berkeley DB 2 files.
They are incompatible with the Berkeley DB 1.85 files that
you have (probably) been using.

Please use perl-5.004 to work with these db's until you can
convert them over.

You can use Perl-5.004 to dump these databases and reload
them with Perl-5.005.
Or you can use db_dump185(1) and db_load(1) utilities thatcome with the
libc6 package."

-Terry