> > > Change "sun5" to "type5"
> >
> > the punctuation keys are still all fubar. <enter> gives lower "c" etc.
>
> Ok, also change the XkbRules to "sun"

Ben, I have changed the XkbRules option to "sun" which completely flumox's
the keymap so nothing is as it should be. The current config clause shows:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "sun"
        Option      "XkbModel" "type5"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

... and as I say nothing is as it should be, now. =) I'm getting this line
in the /var/log output again:

Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

... suggestions readily welcomed.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for
somewhere else..
                                       -- R. Buckminster Fuller