Re: x-session-manager alternative

MoiN

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 07:22:18PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> You say the x-session-manager alternative can be put in manual mode, but
> it's still going to point somewhere, and X is still going to use what it
> points too. All I can think our hypothetical sysadmin could do is make
> the alternative point to some hand-cooked script that simply runs
> wmaker, but what a gross hack that is to force upon our users..

As I understand x-session-manager it should be the program that
manages the x session, probably remembers old sessions, and on
it's exit the users X session should end. Many people use just a
window manager to accomplish this task, though it would not save
past sessions. That leads me to a simple idea.

What about registering x-window-manager as an alternative to
x-session-manager? It should even survive tests like "test -e
/usr/bin/x-session-manager ]" if you don't have any window
managers installed.

    Ingo
--
"Disclosed Source" programs mean software for which the source code is
available without confidential or trade secret restrictions and for which