Re: testing "testing" (was: Implementing "testing")

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 02:51:25AM +0600, Tom Musgrove wrote:
> Would it be possible/feasible to set up a script that would run Lint,
> SLINT, etc. (Perhaps a pretty printer as well, that checks for
> inconsistent white space (which generally implies the programmer meant
> one thing and typed another...) ) and then files related bug
> reports?  After a successful compile, it could also run the program and
> use a memory shaker, and/or software that gives the program random
> input, and again files a bug report for any crashes.
>
> This would likely catch a significant number of the common errors and
> mistakes that tend to slip through, and would save the wasted human
> hours and headaches that would be needed to catch these mistakes
> otherwise.
>
> What do you all think?

Personaly I like the idéa. If I remember correctly a similar discussion
have been here some month ago... As you say this will probably fix some
of the most common errors. The disadvantage (that have been proposed
earlier) is that this kind of mecanism will make people more lazy.

I think that is bullshit. This mecanism will probably make it all better
I think.

The big problem is as I see it, to implement it. I'm not familiar with
the background work that the server do so I'm not the right person to
do it, I think. Are you willing to implement such a system?

If you are I might help out when I have time.

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |