Re: testing to be implemented on ftp-master

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 03:55:26PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Anthony> That's the other problem. At the moment, it's just
>     Anthony> assumed that all open RC bugs apply to the latest version
>     Anthony> in unstable, and that when they no longer apply they get
>     Anthony> closed.
> So, am I correct in assuming that if a RC bug exists for a package,
> then it will never get into testing?

Almost: testing tries to keep track of how many bugs actually apply
to the version in testing, and if there are no more RC bugs in the new
package than how many it believes the old package had, it'll get replaced.

But RC bugs are by definition not things you want to leave around, ever.
(Unless you like security holes, bugs that crash your system, completely
unusable packages, bad dependencies or missing or incorrect copyrights
and so on)

> Hmmm... I dislike the current BTS design of only keeping track of the
> initial version of the package that creates the bug.

Heh. If only it even managed to do that. (It doesn't. You tell it, and it
immediately forgets)

> 3. dinstall (assuming it is still called dinstall) closes the bug and
> tries to install the package in unstable. Unfortunately, for some
> reason, it fails to install the package (eg disk error, package error,
> etc). Of course, if closing bugs is not done until the last step, this
> problem wont occur.

I don't believe this can happen, though. And if it gets closed, the
submitter gets a chance to see (a) that there package for which s/he
just got sent the changes file doesn't actually exist, and (b) that the
bug isn't fixed in the latest version anyway, and it'll get reopened.

The idea though would be that even if it does manage to sneak into
testing, people should be paying enough attention that it'll get fixed
soon enough anyway.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''