Registration for maintainer script-managed files (Was: Re: 2 questions on dpkg and 1 for m68k, thanks)

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:11:21PM -0800, Mike Markley wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 05:53:24PM +0800, Zhao Wei <zw@debian.org> spake forth:
> > Sometime a ``dpkg -S /usr/bin/fffff'' fails to print out the package
> > which owns it. Could you please tell me why this may happen? i.e. what
> > is the possible reason(s) for it? Thanks!
>
> Most likely /usr/bin/fffff is an alternative or some other type of symlink
> that's not included in the package itself, but rather in its maintainer
> scripts and whatnot.

This is another reason why I think we need a more flexible way to declare
package ownership of files.  Even if a filesystem object is managed by the
maintainer scripts, we should be able to use the power of the packaging system
to track who is responsible for it, and prevent conflicts.

How about a mechanism similar to conffiles?  A package should be able to
register these files somehow.

--
 - mdz