Re: lvm - I'll maintain it. - ITP lvm24

How will you handle kernel upgrades?

If I download a plain ole tar.gz of 2.4.1 from kernel.org and compile it
with only the lvm-common and lvm-0.81-tools packages installed, that could
be bad.  Maybe some modifications to kernel-package to add a dependency for
the correct lvm-tools would work, although that adds alot of complexity to
kernel-package that perhaps "should not" be there.

I would suggest, one meta-package "lvm" that depends on lvm-common and ALL
the lvm tools versions.  That way, when the oldest versions of lvm are
totally obsolete, a new lvm metapackage can get be produced that doesn't
depend on the old version of the lvm-tools.

Dare I say, "task-lvm" ? (humor, don't take that seriously)

I really like the idea of LVM and look forward to its addition to Debian.

----- Forwarded by Vince Mulhollon/Norlight on 12/14/2000 11:55 AM -----

                    Russell Coker
                    <russell@coke        To:     <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
                    r.com.au>            cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Norlight)
                                         Fax to:
                    12/14/2000           Subject:     Re: lvm - I'll maintain it. - ITP lvm24
                    11:18 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    Russell Coker

On 2000-12-13 12:08, Russell Coker wrote:
>OK.  I'll create a new package named lvm24 which conflicts with lvm and
>provides lvm.

Here are my latest plans for LVM packaging:

Have packages lvm081, lvm09, etc providing lvm which don't conflict with
each
other.  They will install files in /sbin/lvm081, /lib/lvm081, /sbin/lvm09
and
/lib/lvm09 directories.
At boot time a script in a package lvm-common (which all other lvm*
packages
will depend on) will check the lvm version in the kernel and create
sym-links
from /lib and /sbin to the appropriate directories that match the version.

It's a bit ugly but it seems to be the only way to do it.  The reason it
has
to be like this is because there are several incompatible versions of LVM
in
use which have the same disk format.  So users will want to upgrade their
kernel and not have LVM break.  This means that both versions of the files
have to be on the system at the same time to allow upgrading and
downgrading
of kernels.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.  It's a hack but it'll
work.