Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
Subject: Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:10:56 +1100

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 06:03:18PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > Well, I have never used FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, but one possible
> > advantage of port system seems it can distribute some applications
> > which is prihibited from binary distribution by their licenses.
> >
> > For example, gs-aladdin can not be distributed with GPL'ed printer
> > drivers in Debian but port can do it.
>
> debian handles that with source packages that patch and build a binary.
> e.g. qmail-src, pine-src and others.

Well, I have once built qmail-src but it was rather complicated
mechanism.

I think apt might be almost work well as a port-like system
for Debian, but I imagined a system like

- one can upload source only packages.
- Debian provides room for source only packages like
main, contrib, non-free and soure-only, for example.
- dselect or apt should be able to treat source only packages as
"apt-get install foo" will do "apt-get -b source foo" and
"dpkg -i foo_*.deb" continuously if foo is a source only package.

Are these already realized?  If not I think to introduce
port-like system into Debian makes users happier than now.

I think either of a completely new system or some extension of apt
will be okay if it works fine.

Best Regards,			2000.12.13

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>