Re: ITP: xmms-aalsa

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 04:35:35PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> MvdS> xmms-aalsa is 'XMMS Another Alsa Plugin' - a plugin which directly uses ALSA
> MvdS> 0.5.x to play (instead of the OSS compatibility layer)
>
> esound-alsa doesn't work ?
>
> (I don't use alsa)

The problem with esound-alsa isn't the alsa, it's the esound.  esound is
expensive and has too many predictable strange problems doing certain
things.  I have wav file that will break esound no matter what plays it,
but everything that plays it through esound can also play it with OSS and
it'll work just fine.

Eric Raymond:  I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck.

Richard Stallman:  Any software that isn't free sucks.

Linus Torvalds:  I'm interested in free beer.

Richard Stallman:  That's okay, as long as I don't have to drink it.  I
don't like beer.
        -- LinuxWorld Expo panel, 4 March 1999