Re: [policy] orig.tar.gz unpacking to surprisingly named subdir! (Re: orig.tar.gz)

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 02:01:31PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     [ObCrossposts: We should decide what list to discuss this on.]

Not all of them, obviously.  I'm cutting it back to -devel.

>     >> of my packages have .orig.tar.gz which unpack into directories
>     >> with no version number at all, and sometimes even a different name.
>     >> eg geda-gschem unpacks just as 'gschem/'.
>
>     Henrique> I thought that would be the case (many .origs not unpacking to
>     Henrique> foo-1.2.3.orig).
>
>  This is very bad.  What if I have (and I do have something like...)

[long example]

Note that the name apt-get or dpkg-source extract to has -nothing- to
do with the name in the tarball.  This is a necessary behavior, because
it allows the use of pristine upstream source tarballs, which we try
greatly to do.

Dan