Re: dpkg-statoverride vs. suidmanager

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:39:09PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Argh, I think I missed a problem with this idea. So the idea is:
>   * New Dpkg conflicts with old suidmanager.
>   * New suidmanager depends on new dpkg, and on upgrade, imports all
>     local suid.conf overrides into statoverride.
>   * New packages do not need to register with suidregister, so they will
>     contain actual suid executables.

    * New packages conflict: with old suidmanager

> The problem is, what happens when a user installs a new package on an
> old system?

They can't do this unless they didn't have suidmanager in the first place
(or are willing to remove it), in which case they're presumably happy with
the default suidness.

> I don't think that's acceptable. I'm back to thinking every package that
> used to use suidregister and now uses statoverride needs a versioned
> dependany on dpkg, or a versioned conflicts with old versions of
> suidmanager.

A versioned conflicts allows people who don't care about overriding
suidness to just continue to ignore it.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''