Re: ITP: oms -- Open Media System DVD Player

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:18:14AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:03:26PM +0100, Martin Waitz wrote:
> >
> > OMS and all librarys are licensed under the GPL.
> > For software dvd playback, it needs libcss, which can't be included legally,
> > but oms itself doesn't depend on libcss, so it shouldn't be a problem for debian.
> >

> libcss can certiainly go in non-US.  It's only the US where we pass
> laws that restrict the ability to actually use the products you
> purchase.  The css decryption routines are only illegal here (and
> currently, only for a few people).
i'm not sure about this,
we should continue this thread on debian-legal.

would it be ok to include libcss in non-us?

Background:
libcss itself is distributed under the gpl, but is considered illegal
by the DVD-CCA (dvd copy control association) and
MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America).

http://opendvd.org may be a good start on this topic.

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________