Re: New user for new package

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:01:36AM +0100, Andres Seco Hernandez wrote:

> As the program has a spool directory to keep messages while they wait to
> be sent, i supose that the spool directory (/var/spool/alamin) must be
> accesible only by the user that runs the daemons. These daemons must be
> run as other user than root, i supose, to keep bugs far from being running
> as root. But, i am not sure if the daemon or nobody users must be used to
> keep people away from spool directories. Must i create a new user (alamin)
> as other MTAs do? (postfix, etc.).

in my opinion if the daemon needs to own files then it should have a
dedicated user, nobody is already out of the question as nobody should
never own anything on the filesystem.

user daemon might be acceptable but its not clear to me when things
should run as daemon or/as opposed to nobody.  personally i pretty
much have a dedicated account for each non-root running daemon, but i
would not ask that to be standard debian policy ;-)

> One of the daemons need access to a serial device, so i think is good to
> set its group uid bit and set its group to dialout.

disagreed, if its a daemon not to be run by users then the user it
runs as should be a member of group dialout.  users should not be able
to access the serial devices in any way unless they are members of
group dialout (except through ppp, in which they are member of group
dip instead).  setgid/setuid is something you should avoid using
unless absolutely necessary.  writing set[ug]id safe code takes much
care.

> Please, if somebody can suggest me about users policies for daemons, i
> will be very grateful.

a quick check of debian policy does not appear to say much on the
subject, maybe i missed it...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/