Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

>>"Gustavo" == Gustavo Noronha Silva (KoV) <dockov@zaz.com.br> writes:

 Gustavo> I think C programs would make the debian package management
 Gustavo> system a lot better and faster ( I could not install packages in
 Gustavo> my 486 without having a headache =( )

	Speed is less important than correctness. And installing
 packages is not normally a frequent event (and for those for whom it
 is a frequent event there are only a few packages upgraded at one
 time ;-).

 Gustavo> I disagree with using perl and other languages to "speed up" coding
 Gustavo> because I think (and I like Debian 'coz I've seen this on it)
 Gustavo> quality is much more important than quantity...

	The language used to code things has little to do with the
 quality of the product.

 Gustavo> I would like to see dpkg installing debs with all the process being
 Gustavo> controled by C programs (look, installing packages in my K6 II makes
 Gustavo> it very slow!!)

	I have a Cyrix 133Mhz box, if that matters. And I suspect that
 the speed increases in maintianer scripts would be imperceptible,
 really, and not worth the potential of increased, harder to fix
 errors.

	However, compiled code for maintinainer scripts makes it
 impossible to use vi to fix typos/errors in them; that has saved me a
 number of times. I can use ae in single user mode in case of
 particularily nasty disasters.

	manoj
--
 Support your local police force -- steal!!