Re: Woody Progress

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Richard Taylor wrote:

> I was completely unaware of this and it changes my viewpoint somewhat - I am
> of the opinion that all archs should be created equal.

I agree, but it's frequently not the case.  There are many packages that
still do not compile on Alpha and some other archs, but usually, they're
specific for i386 (or whatever).  The thread on -devel about GNAT is
another one of those packages that should be everywhere, but the effort
has not been made yet to port it (it will soon be integrated into the gcc
CVS, though, which will help immensely on that front).

> Oh yeah, I mean, I just used KDE as an example, I use KDE myself, sometimes,
> so it was an easy choice to pick. There are others... I don't see it as being
> all about KDE, I mean, GNOME would be more the Debian kind of default desktop,
> seeing as Debian is the `poster child' for free software.
> I just want to see a slightly shorter release cycle, because while I will soon
> start using woody full-time, once I'm sure that XF86 is stable enough, not
> everyone wants to use a system that is dubbed `unstable'

True and agreed.  Having a stable release with XF86 4.0.1 would be very
nice too, but many archs are still getting that ported as well.

> IIRC, you are correct. Now did I also hear that XF86 4 is also planned
> for a potato point release? Surely not... cool if it was though!

Hehehehe...well, since Ivan already replied to the thread, I'll let him
speak for KDE maintenance and whether or not it will end up in potato :-)