Re: Debian New Maintainer Status on nm.debian.org

On Saturday 02 December 2000 12:17, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> * "Mariusz" == Mariusz Przygodzki <dune@home.pl> wrote:
>
> Mariusz> BTW, your math model can not describe current situation witn
> Mariusz> nm.debian.org properly but please try to investigate yourself
> Mariusz> why.
>
> Granted, but it doesn't make a difference. The priciple still
> applies. These statements
>
>    >> Wow! The maximum number of days went down! Is that some kind of
>    >> creative bookkeeping?
>    >
>    > The most funny is the average days went down also and the count
>    > was growing at the same time!
>
> are still unfounded.
>
>     5,6,7,8,9,100 c=6 avg=22.5 max=100
> 2,2,5,6,7,8,9     c=7 avg=5.57 max=9

Thanks, you are just a little bit near a current situation with
nm.debian.org. But you have also assumed (to much positively) a current max
time for waiting DAM approval. Maybe it would be better to use a real
coefficients instead of playing theoretical games and raising some applicants
hopes of that they may think they can expect DAM approval after just 9 days
only.

I wrote "the most funny" and I didn't write "this is not logical". This is
very logical and this is the fact. I can only appreciate Michael Piefel's
work on these statistics.

Anyway, this is not a problem "how fast" or "how slow", but "what rules
describe it and are the same for all applicants". And this is not a
mathematical problem unfortunately.

On the last stage of NM process (this is a big "black hole" in my opinion)
just one volunteer *can not* decide about "a quality" of a new potential
volunteer based on rules which are *not* clearly defined in the NM process
designed and implemented by many volunteers. Simply, this is not *fair* (I
use "not fair" as far as we want use a diplomatic language only).

There's no clear information about rules and conditions which necessary to
obtain DAM Approval (or to make DAM happy). But there's some surprising
information about a phone contact with the applicant which usually (if we
believe the applicants' status pages on nm.debian.org) is not performed by
DAM.

What does it mean "DAM Phone Contact: Not Required" when "Evaluation and
Check-in" says this action is needed to "DAM satisfied that the application
is complete"? So it means DAM has already satisfied enough or he hasn't
satisfied yet and he is not going to approve AM report, at least in the
near future. There's no any other information about how an applicant or AM can
satisfy DAM if a phone contact is not required. And what does it mean "a
satisfaction" in this case?

And the last question. Why some applicants have been waited for DAM approval
just one day and some other more then one month (and it was not depend on the
their place in the queue) after when AMs completed all necessary tasks and
approved these applicants? I can not find explanation in the fact that the
DAM work is a volunteer work.

Thanks,
Mariusz

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.