Re: dh_shlibdeps problem

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:

> On 00-12-01 Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> > > no. it should read "if it contains arch specific packages"

> > > if it has no binary packages so why put it there in the first place?
>
> > There are scenarios where this could be useful:
> > - you don't know if shared libraries needed
>
> How should this happen? If you build the binaries, you will normally
> notice if shared libs are necessary or not. Can you please give an
> example where you don't know it?

I'm splitting courier in various binary packages. Not all of them
will contain compiled executables. So it is error-prone to
add and remove the ${shlib:Depends} from the control file.
(In the end humans forget adding it again).
Even on my moderately fast machine Courier takes quite some
to build too.

I assume that you discussed the issue of automatically adding
dependencies as RPM does vs. the Debian method. Any pointers
are appreciated.

Keep on hacking

Bye
        Racke

--
LinuXia Systems && Cobolt NetServices, eCommerce and more
Shop- und Datenbanklösungen mit MiniVend, Firewalls auf Debian-Basis