Re: apt-listchanges, dpkg-preconfigure ordering in apt.conf

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> As an optimization, I skip all processing of debs that are from a source
> package that I've already read changelogs for.  Reading control.tar.gz or the
> status file is much faster than getting the changelog out of a large .deb.
> Depending on where the changelog happens to be in the archive, you may have
> to decompress and read the entire data.tar.gz.

Hm, fair enough. However the new information is complete enought that you
can init APT's cache (which is free since it is already done)

> IMHO, the changelog should be part of control.tar.gz.

Would be nice for alot of things.

After you do this you should cookup an efficient caching changelog querier
for the web site..

> I'm already asking the user for their choices at install time via
> debconf; why shouldn't I put them into the config file?  They can always
> be changed with dpkg-reconfigure, or the user can ignore it altogether
> and override with entries in apt.conf.  I would much prefer to dump
> everything into the config file at once.

hmm, debconf eh. I don't like mixing the 'how APT talks to you script'
config with 'what the user wants' it makes upgrades unhappy.

Maybe you need a pair of files, apt.conf.d/foo and etc/apt/listchanges -
just use the new include directive in your conf.d fragment ?

That sounds fair because then apt.conf remains the final config file that
can override everything, you still have automatic upgrades of the cron.d
fragment and debconf can fiddle with its own file.

Might need condition include however..

Jason