Re: lintian & libtool: are they friends now?

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:33:57PM +0100, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:08:26PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > No. The rpath situation will not be resolved unless the RUNPATH feature
> > in the new ELF standard is available and used by Linux and the Hurd.
> > I hope that RUNPATH will be allowed by Debian Policy and used by packages
> > that install libraries in non-standard locations, as the Hurd doesn't use
> > /etc/ld.so.conf.
> >

> how hurd does without /etc/ld.so.conf?

/lib is in the default path (note that /usr/lib is not, because /usr is
symlinked to /), while everything else needs to be added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

In the past, it was the opinion of the Hurd developers that -rpath is the
correct solution for non-standard places. With glibc 2.2, I think that
RUNPATH is the way to go.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de