Re: apt-get and "kept back" packages

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:03:45AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> While trying to figure out why man doesn't work on my machine I did
> another "upgrade" from potato using apt-get. Before this program gets down
> to the meat of downloading and installing packages, it gives a substantial
> list of packages that it says "have been kept back". There are many
> important packages on this list, including man-db (which seems to be why
> man refuses to find any manpages on my system).
>
> A check with dpkg -s mandb shows that the old named file is installed.
> apt-get seems to know about the new file (man-db), as it declares it by
> name, but seems unwilling to install it, replacing the older mandb
> package. This is supposed to be handled properly using replaces,
> conflicts, and provides, so why is apt-get choking? What happened to our
> "seamless" upgrade process?
>
> Is there any "automatic" way to get these issues resolved? Why is apt-get
> unable to resolve this issue?
>
> At this point I must investigate all 25 files individually and figure out
> what to do about them, one at a time. Is there a better way to deal with
> this weak behavior?

I think what you want is dist-upgrade:

apt-get(8):
       dist-upgrade
              dist-upgrade,in addition to performing the function
              of upgrade,  also  intelligently  handles  changing
              dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get
              has a "smart" conflict resolution  system,  and  it
              will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
              at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
              The  /etc/apt/sources.list  file contains a list of
              locations from which to  retrieve  desired  package
              files.

so, instead of apt-get upgrade,
apt-get dist-upgrade

should handle all those upgrades for you.

--
Josh Huber                                   | huber@debian.org |
                                             | Debian Developer |