shared library problem on 2.2

I have a fresh installation of 2.2 on an IBM ThinkPad T20.

I am unable to build any software (such as Zsh or MySQL) that requires
the ncurses library.

Various versions of the shared libncurses.so.* exist in /usr/lib, but
they are not being found.

Attempting to isolate this I've tried compiling a little stub,

int main()
{
    return 0;
}

with each of the following:

gcc -o foo foo.c -lncurses
gcc -o foo foo.c -L/usr/lib -lncurses

neither of these work: in each case the linker reports that it cannot
find the library.

Only if I explicitly list the library,

gcc -o foo foo.c /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5

does the stub actually link.

Suffice it to say that this is a big problem for me.

Any and all help is appreciated: I've never had a problem like this on
other Linux installations, and I'm a bit confused.

I've rebuilt binutils from scratch, but have not rebuilt the kernel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

    -tree

Zenkaku Language Hacker                            http://www.basistech.com