Re: [RFD] Debian's mime support

* Joseph Carter

| Should there be a central file included with the mime scripts defining
| lots of standard types?  Good question - I don't have a good answer,
| there are pros and cons to the idea.

There should, probably.  Apache needs to be able to return the correct
mime-type for a file, even if there are no tools to view/edit it on
the system.

You should probably look into KDE's system as well, which has entries
under /usr/share/mimelink,

where for instance /usr/share/mimelnk/text/plain.desktop contains
information about how KDE apps should handle text/plain.

The format is something similar to:
[Desktop Entry]
MimeType=text/plain
Comment=Plain Text
Comment[no]=Enkel tekst
Icon=txt
Type=MimeType
Patterns=*.txt;

(snipped most of the Comment[lang])

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.