Re: [RFD] Debian's mime support

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 11:13:10PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> We can do mime a lot better.  And we should.

Your proposal focuses mostly on filename extensions and regexps for
determining a file type. I consider this an ancient microsoftism that
prevents me from naming files the way I want them to. But I did see
your reference to magic numbers, which gives the proposal most of its
redeeming value :).

I am a huge fan of file(1), and I love the idea of determining a file
type based on a magic number. However, I am not so happy about the
idea of the computer second-guessing me from my file naming habits. If
you can make the system allow the individual users on the system
change their preference of which methods will be used to determine the
types of a file and which have the highest precedence, the proposal
will have my full support.

Cheers,
Aaron Lehmann