Re: Proposal for a new package relationship option

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 05:27:02PM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 01:15:08AM +0200, Gil Bahat wrote:
> > > Definition:
> > > Package X discourages Package Y when the two packages can exist in
> > > a stable setup, but may require specific configuration to co-exist,
> > > or their conjunction might cause potentially undesireable effects.
> >
> > I think such two packages must not exist. Either they conflict, or they
> > don't. The default configuration for non-conflicting packages should always
> > allow for a peaceful coexistence, without undesireable effects whatsoever.
> >
> > Wishy-washy conflicts will only add confusion to our packaging system.
>
> I beg to differ. Two packages which would satisfy the definition of
> 'discourages' would be Apache and Boa, with suitable minor configuration
> changes to allow them to bind to two different ports, say Apache on 80 and
> Boa on 8080. I do note that the httpd packages don't conflict with each
> other, that (at least on my system) one will gracefully (and silently)
> fail if the other is bound to whichever port, and that most people who
> NEED two httpd running at the same time already know to edit configuration
> files. ;)

Please improve the post-installation scripts of these packages, so that they
know about each other and the second one which is configured notices the
first one and asks for a port to run on. This is also more user friendly, as
the adminstrator will be informed about the exact type of the conflict, and
gets a chance to resolve it.

An even better solution would be amore versatile configuration programm,
which let's you assign arbitrary installed web servers to arbitrary ports.
Whenever the simple default (one webserver installed, sitting on port 80)
is left (by installing a second web server, for example), the tool is
started and let's the admin decide.

A single field with a package name isn't much helpful information really.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de