Re: UTF-8 locales

Hi,

At Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:49:52 +0900,
NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> wrote:

>  > However, the current woody system (with locale 2.1.97-1) has only
>  > one UTF-8 locale of ko_KR.utf8.  UTF-8 locales are needed for this
>  > model to work well.  Why only it?
>
> Because of "localedef".  Older version doesn't support multibyte character
> sets.   From the "NEWS" of GNU C library 2.2:

I see.  Then we can hope many UTF-8 locales will be created hereafter :-)

> Perhaps you'll get interests in www.pango.org...

Though my main interest is on avoiding 'mojibake' (non-human-readable
text output) and not on high-quality rendering which needs distinction
between character and glyph, it is a very interesting project.  It would
be nice if such such an engine could be used without being aware of it,
so that all softwares (including ones whose developers are not familiar
with I18N) can display/input multilingual text.

For people who don't know word 'mojibake':
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/mojibake/
It is just like displaying ASCII text with EBCDIC decorder.
I can say that mojibake is like a primitive cryptography.

(Mojibake is a Japanese word.  How should I call this in English?)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/