Re: Glibc 2.2 and potato

Hi Colin,

Colin Watson wrote:

> Michael@Meding.net wrote:
> >curious as I am I was wondering if it would be possible to fetch glibc
> >2.2. from woody and do a apt-get source --compile and then an install
> >on a potato system.
>
> Why not just upgrade to the woody version of the libc6 package? Since it
> doesn't depend on anything, that shouldn't be a problem, and it's likely
> to fit into your system better (not to mention satisfy dependencies more
> smoothly) than a self-compiled version.

Thanks for your answer. But why should that fit better ? If I do a
apt-get source --compile it should give me the *deb files and all
dependencies should be met then ? Or do I think wrong here ?

Self compiling, especially using the headers (how?) should give
advantages, at least to what I ve heard. Also setting a little bit more
agressive optimization flags should come out handy on duron/thunderbirds
compared to the normal compile run wouldn't it ?

Greetings

Michael