Re: What "Personal Security Manager"?

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 02:44:59PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:49:57AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I have often thought it would be useful for Debian to apply for a
> > munitions export license so we could integrate security into the
> > distribution in the same seamless fashion the proprietary vendors do.
> > Is this a job for SPI?
>
> We could end up in trouble with DFSG point 8, which says
> that a license must not be specific to Debian.

That's about a different kind of license. The upstream authors (if
they're smart) don't put the restrictions on their code, the US
government does.
Applying for a license to distribute crypto from within the US does not
change the upstream license. Also, if I understand it correctly, the
export license would apply to a whole category of software, not
individual named packages.

Bart, who wishes people would stop including the equivalent of ", and
you should also not break the laws of my country..." into their
licenses.
--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed