Re: Supporting non-english (was: Re: Quiero saber si...)

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 11:53:05AM +0100, Tomas Sanchez wrote:
> Hi Debians!

don't know if i can count as a debian, perhaps a debian user, but thanks
nonetheless :-)
> This message is cross posted to debian-devel, debian-user and Miquel who posted the original message.
and this one is cross-posted to debian-devel, debian-i18n and Tomas Sanchez
because i think it's something debian-i18n should have a look at.

> Hi debian-devel:
> >From time to time a message in a foreign (as opposed to english) language lands into the deb-user list and mostly nothing happens. I think that this could change if:
>
> i) it was possible to choose language in the install process
that's lot of work as goes for installation, but i think it is customizeable
and supports message catalogues. ofcourse, if you put it on low-capacity
media (like disks) we'd have to have diffrent disks for every language
which can unfortunately be a problem. it's an idea worth examining though.
wish i knew more of gettext ( despite english not being my native language!
shame on me :) )

> ii) there where pointers in many languages of how to change this

or maybe, just an instruction telling you to fetch the floppy image
specific for your language
> regards.

[rest snipped...]

it did bring me to think of another thing though. what about package
language tags? let's say a line in package description specifying
one or more two-letter language code ( sorry, forgot the rfc number
used to referance these :) ) or the word 'all'. this way, you could
tell apt not to process packages that are tied to a specific language
unless the user has a specific need.

.sig pending
best regards,
Cout