Re: changing flavor of the linux world? was: craig sanders

On 15 Nov 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
> > Not that Craig was right, that Thomas was in the wrong by suggesting that
> > Craig be kicked off the mailinglists.  Craig was a bad boy, but you don't
> > execute somebody for being a bad boy.
>
> I'm not sure I really want to do that; I think I mentioned that to
> demostrate that, in fact, there is something that can be done, not
> necessarily to propose it as the correct action.  What you suggest
> below, in fact, might be a good place to start:

Okay, you're reasonable.  This is a good thing. :)

> > Standards of Decency, yes: social pressure: yes, kicking off mailinglists
> > because of profanity: no
>
> So if we grant that kicking someone off a mailing list is bad (which I
> would probably agree with in the last analysis), then what exactly are
> the methods of social pressure which would work here?

Basically its a two step process

1) politely point out that it's offensive

This is where you failed:  you were just as offensive back and you got
into a feedback loop between you and Craig.

2) ignore them if it continues

Enough parties follow 2) and there will be no need to kick someone off a
list: they'll be irrelevant anyway.

--
<a mailto:galt@inconnu.isu.edu>Who is John Galt?</a>

	-- Ferenc Mantfeld