Re: [RFC] Measuring skills of a Debian Developer

>>"Eray" == Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

 Eray> Instead of the rant, you might try to put together an actually
 Eray> useful idea from this weird suggestion.

	Hint: there is not always some thing good in a suggestion that
 appears bad: some ideas really are just dumb.

 Eray> Of course getting people to test each other's skills such as
 Eray> coding or documentation is beyond the scope of Debian
 Eray> project. Granted that, a useful idea could be some sort of
 Eray> automated volunteer tracking system.  Something that wouldn't
 Eray> be discriminating and would be more socially plausible. You
 Eray> know, friendship, co-operation, etc.  Without assuming too much
 Eray> :)

	In other words, mutate the heck out of the original suggestion
 so it does not resemble anything like what was suggested, but make
 the proposer feel good because you are not opposing him. You shall do
 very well in politics.

	As a learning process, I prefer letting people see when I
 think their suggestion makes little sense.

 Eray> I think you could do such a thing without really rating people
 Eray> about their perl wisdom or kernel hacking experience. A simple
 Eray> system to match volunteers to tasks. Kind of like WNPP extended
 Eray> a bit. The idea is about specifying certain skills. Each developer
 Eray> gives his estimate of how useful he could be in that area, or
 Eray> how much he'd like to work in that area. Then of course there's
 Eray> the collection of tasks to be done. Like the GNU task list.

	*sig*. I shall leave to others to expound on the sheer
 impracticality of this, instead concentrate on the solution in desperate
 need of a problem aspect of this.

	What are you trying to solve? If there is a need for help in
 an area, why does asking for help on this list, and letting people
 volunteer not work? Who the heck is going to update the databser as
 people gain skills, run out of time, get time, and slowly forget
 things to the level they are not comfortable working with them? (at
 one time I knew oracle). The problem, usually, is time, not skillset
 mismatch. I can name several people in any area (maintainers of
 related packages/ people active in related lists are a good start);
 but tracking free time these folks have is the issue.

	Adding busy-work and red tape on top of a simple request for
 help/discussion is not condusive to anything being done.

 Eray> You can fill in the details if your IQ's really above 100.

     Actually, if itis you can really see the idiocy of the proposal.
 and a number of people have already tried politely to say so.

	manoj
--
 It's bad enough that life is a rat-race, but why do the rats always
 have to win?