Re: Craig Sanders

On 13 Nov 2000 20:07:38 -0800, tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
> What do we do when [a maintainer] decides to attack a user for a bug report
> that [the maintainer] deems foolish or in error?

That kind of thing used to bother me.  I mean, if I go to the trouble
of rooting out a bug, coming up with a patch and posting it, it's a
bit disheartening to get a reply, "No, that would be a stupid way of
doing it," (or something less polite) with no other explanation [1].
Nowadays I just throw up my hands and add another entry to my
killfile when I see abusive mail.

What's the alternative?  A maintainer review board?  A complaints
department? [2]

It's too bad, really, because I switched to Debian from Redhat years
ago because of a great experience with a maintainer who helped me fix
a problem I was having with one of his packages, and the bug wasn't
even in his package!

-itai

[1] OK, so I'm not the greatest programmer, and I tend to write
without thinking, but still...

[2] Hmmm... perhaps I'll set up a maintainer rating system.  I've been
looking for something to do...