Re: How may we let the user to select which languages he wants

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 07:56:43PM +0200, Juho Östman wrote:
> Wouldn't that require that the user downloads the whole package with
> perhaps dozens of languages?

Yes.

> Could we develope some
> system that allows the package to be split into logical pieces (eg.
> languages) and the user could download the relevant files only?

Only at the cost of greatly increased complexity. Either you lose
the ability to apt over ftp/http/nfs, or you store dozens of files
for each package on the server, increasing the archive size and
complexity.

> I know the
> translation databases are often quite small but particularly the package
> 'locales' is a way too big to download too often.

locales is down to 1.5 MB. See the woody package for details.

> Should the package system record the status of installed subpackages?

If we go to full-fleged subpackages, probably. It's too much complexity
for too little gain for lanuguage subpackages, though.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org