Re: How may we let the user to select which languages he wants

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 05:59:48AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:13:05AM -0300, Pablo De Napoli wrote:
> >
> > Let me explain my idea about how to support this.
> >
> > My idea is to have an environment variable (say DPKG_LINGUAS) with the
> > list of the languages that the user wants to install

Conffile. You can't expect an enviroment variable to be set every time
a package is installed.

> what if the admin later changes his mind and wants more languages
> installed?  would he have to change the variable and locate and
> reinstall `incomplete' installed packages?

Yes. So? Get it right the first time. It doesn't cost much in space
to cover all the languages you can envision needing, even if you don't
currently need them. And if you get it wrong, reinstall the important
(language-wise) packages and let the rest get updated on their own,
or pull out a CD and reinstall from that CD.

It shouldn't be that hard to open up a package and just install the
language bits, either.

I once deleted /usr/doc and a large part of /usr/share/doc (warning: be
careful with chroots. The directories you delete may be your own). So
I let apt automatically update anything that got automatically updated,
and whenever I needed the docs for something, I reinstalled it. It wasn't
that hard. Same principle applies here.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org