Locales, libc6 2.1.97-2 and X

Hi,

I am French, and I have put in my /etc/environment this one line:
LANG=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1

This has been working for a long time, and it gave me French messages.
Applications (gnome especially) were in French, and I was happy.

This morning in my office, I upgraded (yes I also have a big compulsion
to upgrade) libc6 and everything.

When I tried to start a X application, I got the message:
rebma ~ $ LANG=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 gnome-terminal

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Well...
After browsing, doing tests with my second computer, the fault comes
just after upgrading (and only) libc6 libc6-dev and locales.

The fix right now:
LANG=fr_FR.ISO8859-1
(note the missing dash).
I also had to fix /etc/locale.alias to reflect this in the definition
of french and français (I use gdm, and the language string is translated
according to this file and used to set LANG).

Er...

I don't know what broke. But what should it be ? ISO-8859-1 or
ISO-88591 ?

I could set LANG=fr_FR, but I would like to use ISO-8859-15 one of those
days.

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq