Re: sharefont package license sucks, even for non-free

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony> Obviously you think it's immoral to use Debian developers to
 Anthony> be involved in anything non-free.

	You are over stating the objection. However, I do see a
 conflict with what I believed is the spririt of the social contract:
 we are not in Debian to make money, personally.

 Anthony> You haven't presented any good, objective reason for
 Anthony> this.

	The minuite you bring in the profit motive into packaging
 code, you intriduce the slippery slope which leads down to profits
 and marketing before quality. You also remove the ``untouchable''
 status of the project, which has been always known for developers who
 are volunteers, who are here for, horrors, non-monetary reasons.

 Anthony> Yeah, sorry, I keep forgetting we're all here for completely
 Anthony> altruistic reasons, and we should've given all our earthly
 Anthony> posessions (except our computers and broadband links of
 Anthony> course!) to the poor by now.

	This is a truly idiotic paragraph )perhaps provoked), but I am
 going to ignore it.

 Anthony> So, again, how does this manage to not apply to Corel, VA,
 Anthony> Stormix, Progeny, HelixCode, Linuxcare, and everyone else
 Anthony> making money off the backs of our users?

	These are not Debian.

 Anthony> How does it manage not to apply to the requests for
 Anthony> donations to SPI we ocassionally make?

	Oh? We say you use our code you have to make a donation to
 SPI? And that donation then goes to the pockets of an individual?

 Anthony> OTOH, saying it's okay for developers to upload random
 Anthony> shareware from the net, but not their own shareware reeks of
 Anthony> pointless holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

	I think not. In the case of random shareware, the debian
 developer is not the one reaping the benefit. If you truly can't see
 the difference, our world views are too far apart to permit a
 meaningful dialog on this subject.

	manoj

--
 "Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions."
 Phyllis Schlafly