Re: Can't use custom 2.2.x kernel

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Colin Mattson wrote:

> You DIDN'T extract 2.4.0-testX to /usr/src/linux, did you?  If I recall
> correctly, the documentation warns against that.

No, I extracted 2.4.0-testX to linux-2.4.0-testX and symlinked
/usr/src/linux to that.  Perhaps that was my mistake, but read more
below.

> The only other idea I have at the moment is to make sure your kernel is
> building the module tools when you compile.

?? How do I get it to do this?  My modutils is up-to-date (as far
as unstable is concerned) and works fine with 2.4.0-testX.

> Maybe someone else has some greater insignt into this, I'm zonked.

Me too.  I pulled linux-2.2.17 off of kernel.org and recompiled.
Everything works now (except NFS, which I'll describe below).
Modules load just fine.  But kernel-source-2.2.17 is messed up.
So is kernel-source-2.2.15.

NFS is still broken.  Actually, it's the automounter.  Neither
autofs nor amd works completely, though amd works some of the
time with 2.4.0-testX.  So I compiled everything with autofs
disabled in the kernel.

With 2.4.0-testX, amd often hangs for a bit and dies.  Sometimes
it can successfully mount things, however.  It seems completely
random, but leans toward dieing mode.

With 2.2.17 (off of kernel.org) NFS reports (when amd attempts a
mount):

nfs: RPC call returned error 111
RPC: task of released request still queued!
RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)

I've seen similar problems with woody and 2.2.x kernels before,
but haven't found a solution.

2.2.14 off of kernel.org has module symbol problems (the same as
with kernel-source-2.2.17 and -2.2.15), so I couldn't test it.

Odd.

                                         -Dave