Re: Maintaing an aptable archive with a potato - woody mixture

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:11:10 -0800 (PST), "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry"
<shaleh@valinux.com> wrote:
>As for taking woody packages and placing them in potato, the usual numbering
>scheme is:
>
>is foo_1.2-3.deb is from woody it becomes foo_1.2-0potato3.deb.

I tried some of that stuff today and found out that starting the
company debian releases at 0 doesn't work very well. First, the
package manual says that the debian revision starts at 1, not at 0.
Second, starting at 0 breaks the comparability. An example:

libldap2 changed its binary API at 2.0.2-2. It explicitly states that
by dh_makeshlibs -V "libldap2 (>= 2.0.2-2)".

When I now call my backport libldap2-2.0.2-0company2, my version
number is smaller than 2.0.2-2, which breaks packages depending on
libldap2. So I'll have to change hard-coded version numbers in the
build scripts as well.

Same thing with exim: exim changed its database interface with 3.16-5,
and the postinst script contains code to convert the database when
updating from a version smaller than that value. Hence, upgrading from
3.16-0company6 to 3.16-1company6 breaks, leaving an unconfigured
package behind.

From these experiences made today, I believe that it would be the
logical choice to start local debian releases with the same number
than the woody package, giving the examples of
libldap2-2.0.2-2company2 and exim-3.16-6company6, updated to
exim-3.16-7company6. If exim-3.16-7 is released tomorrow, I would have
to pull my package to exim-3.16-7company7, saving the ordering.

That way, the ordering of the versions isn't broken. Am I missing
something here that forces me to start at exim-3.16-0company6 which
probably gives me a lot of grief with hard coded version numbers and
database updates?

Greetings
Marc