Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> [-policy added to CC: list]
>
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Mark Rahner wrote:
> > Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > > maybe-restart means exectly that: restart only if currently running.
> >
> > I had been wondering about this.  It's a shame this isn't called
> > restart-if-running.
>
> Well, I am not the author of 'maybe-restart'. Someone mentioned that in some
> report in the BTS and I went along with it, since I didn't have any better
> ideas.
>
> However 'restart-if-running' is a tad too big IMHO. Maybe 'restart-running'
> would be better?

I'm just a lurker (at this point) and I'm not out to make work for anyone so
take my comments for what they're worth.  In answer to your question, I'm a big
fan of extreme clarity.  I think the three extra characters are well worth it.
'restart-if-running' would provide complete comprehension at a glance to a
novice human reader.  The shorter 'restart-running' might raise questions about
what happens if the process wasn't running already.