Re: I want to try something for freedom.

DeCSS on Linux effectively disbles, as part of the decryption process, the
zone controls on the the dvd disc. This allows someone in Finland, say,  to
watch a dvd he purchased in the United States (or some other zone). This is
what I meant when I said that it has more to do with a loss of distribution
control. The MPAA loses the ability to control the timing of dvd releases
in other zones.

Currently, movie and dvd releases are released first in the US (US releases
of course), and then months later in Europe. With the availablity of dvds
for sale on the Internet, these could be purchased in the US months ahead
of the scheduled release in Europe, Asia or wherever. So, the MPAA loses
control of the timing of the releases, which is a loss of control of
distribution.

A more detailed explanation of this is available at
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/currents/016.html.

michael heyes

Robert Varga <robi@piros.zold.net> on 11/02/2000 09:08:12 AM