RE: [michael@itd.utech.de: A big THANK YOU!]

See below

> Hi folks!
>
> I didn't find a better address to say this, so please you to forward
> the message to appropriate places if you care.

Since it was forwarded here, I guess it's the right place... I thought it
was a little Off topic...

> I was a regular SuSE Linux user (and programmer, admin) since their
> very early versions. Their release politics brought me to re-evaluating
> several linux distributions. The result has been terrible, most dists
> are buggy, i mean so buggy that even windows 95 seems more robust.

It depends. With Debian, it's sometimes the same... When I try all the
Gnome-* crap, I feel like Windows and especially win2k is way more stable
and robust...
I think the stability doesn't really depend on the distribution (ok, it
depends on the version the disto provides, but unfinished software like
gnome-* are as unusable in stable and development releases..)

> Especially red hat 7 is a joke... I spend day after day, reconfiguring
> the systems, getting more and more frustrated. Even though i played
> around with open source systems I felt like diving into NT-Registry.
> There are also nice tries, like EasyLinux, Corel, Caldera, Go!Linux,
> but all of them had their shortcomings.

Yep, that I remember... With these distros, when you don't use the graphical
tools, you're screwed...

> >From the old days, i loved the way, the bsd-folks build their systems:
> Clean and robust, easy to understand for an not-so-old unix guy. But
> *BSD is just a bit to far away from mainstream and has some
> disadvantages if one wants to use current technologies, like pam,
> ldap and such. Also some important commericial software packages are
> not available or not yet robust. So I decided not to use FreeBSD and
> to use OpenBSD only as firewall.
>
> Then finally i came across Debian again. Last time, i took a closer look
> at Debian I disliked the software packaging and management tools a lot
> (especially dselect is somewhat out of the ordinary). Since I spend

dselect is still as unsusable as before, but now there is apt :)

> so much time into Red Hat and SuSE I felt that I should give Debian
> another try.

yes, of course... my beginnings in debian began like that :)

> Now I am not just happy. I'm not even finding the right expression
> for what I want to say.
>
>    *** DEBIAN IS GREAT! ***
>
> All I ever wanted from a Linux system.
>
> It's robust, easy to understand (yes, even if you are
> not hyping around with graphical installation), easy to install
> (yes even if I am asked a lot of questions at the beginning),
> impressively easy to update (i grasped for air when I first saw how
> easy it is, that I even don't need to reboot the machine...), easy
> to use (i don't need to compile every packet on my own, because
> of silly or short minded precompilation) things just work out
> of the box and if not, it's no problem to get them work in an hour.

yeah, it's right, debian is great and easy, but there are some problems :

* the stable release is always too old.. for the moment, with potato it's
ok, but in 1 year, there will only be a few updates for some software and
then it becomes really annoying to always have to build from the sources..

* OOps, actually, that was the only thing I wanted t critisize.

> What you call "unstable" is more than any commecial linux vendor
> can hope to reach. They should be ashamed (Red head, instead of
> Red hat?).

Yes, because you didn't try unstable while libc changes...
or just look at perl...

> Now coming to another topic. Your website. Whow...
> It's just like the other stuff the best I ever saw. Including
> RH, SuSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Caldera, EasyLinux or Corel.
>
> You managed to combine the advantages of Linux, *BSD and commercial
> UNIX vendors without any visible disadvantages (at least I don't see
> any yet).

Yeah, that's right... But the website could be more attractive.. A user
doesn't want to download debian when he sees the webpage...

> I just hope, really hope, that you can manage to get more popularity.
>
> Sure everybody knows the name Debian, but I really wonder why RH and
> SuSE can sell their distributions while there is such a great system
> out there as Debian. At least I will stop using both and do my very
> best to contribute to Debian.

yeah, But debian itself can't become popular...
the installation isn't really attractive, so the magazines don't give out
debian instead of Mandrake / RH
but on the other hand, there is progeny, which is really promising...  It's
based on debian, but with some upgrades concerning Xfree 4.0 (which is
really important for users...) and with an attractive installation..

If either Storm or Progeny became populer, then it's perfect for debian :
the packages are the SAME, and follow the exact same policy (contrary to
Mandrake & RH's RPM..)

> Thank you for your work!

yes, Thank you to all the developpers

Sam