Re: Policy conflict regarding templates as examples

On 01-Nov-00, 10:06 (CST), Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm working on a package and I need to store a template
> configuration file that I will copy into /etc in my postinst if it
> doesn't already exist.
>
> According to policy 4.7.3 (behavior of configuration files), it is
> reasonable to install such templates in
> /usr/share/doc/package/examples, if they also serve as reasonable
> example configuration files.  However, according to 6.7, no program
> should reference examples.

That's not the intent of 6.7[1]. I think letting the postinst copy
from /usr/share/foo/doc/examples is accepted practice[2]. But putting
(another) copy in /usr/share/lib/foo and using that might be the better
choice.

It would be quite reasonable and appropriate to ask this on -policy.

Steve

[1] As I recall, then intent is that *once installed*, no program should
*need* files from /usr/share/doc. I could have script that runs 'rm
-rf /usr/share/doc' every day at 3am, and nothing should happen except
perhaps the "help" function would fail.

[2] The potential problem is that if we ever develop a system that let's
the sysadmin mark entire subtrees as "do not install files from this
tree", which has been suggested but never implemented.

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read