Re: I want to try something for freedom.

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 01:05:21AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> Because the patents and IP on your radio expired a long time ago. The ones
> on the algorithms haven't. :)

There's nothing wrong with studying patented algorithms -- that's what
patents are _for_.  (They encourage publication of inventions, and in
return they grant a monopoly on their use.)

If these algorithms are patented, then there is no need to reverse-engineer
them -- the details will be described in the patent.

If they called them "proprietary" then they probably mean secret, not
patented.  This means that once you do reverse-engineer them, they
will be easy to break.

Note that reverse-engineering a product in order to develop a compatible
product has been rules legal in some cases.  You'll want a lawyer watching
over your shoulder if you try this.  (If you don't look at the product's
code at all, just at its behaviour, then I doubt there will be a problem.)

Richard Braakman