Re: x-terminal-emulator

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 10:12:30AM +0100, Enrique Robledo Arnuncio wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 07:17:21PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:16:01PM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
>> > I'd like to add a menu entry for a command that needs a terminal
>> > emulator. Can I rely on x-terminal-emulator understanding -e? How
>> > about -T? Is this codified somewhere?
>>
>> To try to answer your question, my guess is that most, but not all,
>> terminal emulators support these flags.
>>

>/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
>it would be quite easy to do command-line-options translation; The
>wrapper would define its standard set of options, and each alterntive
>program could somehow define (at installation time) a translation for
>each of those options. Non standard options would be passed unchanged
>to the alternative program.

I played about a little bit with such an idea last time this came up:

    http://master.debian.org/bod/x-term.tar.gz

The theory is that x-terminal-emulator is a script which takes xterm
options.  Each emulator provides an alternative for
/etc/X11/x-terminal-emulator.conf which details the path name of the
emulator, argument translations and so on.

Also checks for ~/.xterm.conf, so the choice of preferred emulator can
be made on a per-user as well as per-site basis.

Arguments of the form --for-<xterm>=<option> cause the option to be
passed only to the named emulator.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633